Game 17: Orioles 3, Red Sox 4
* Guthrie was serviceable; 6 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR. That should be enough for a W often enough. Looks like he's lowered his arm angle this year, and I think he even threw one side-arm in this game (though it was Cla Meredith for a second).
* Adam Jones broke out of his slump a little, with a two-run home run over the Green Monster.
* Wigginton walked three times - once intentionally - and singled, while Reimold worked three regular free passes. I heart Nolan's patience.
* Wieters went 2-4 with a double before being removed for a pinch-runner.
* Markakis doubles and singled. That single came in the 9th, and Nick was thrown out going for two. Damn. The O's got two runners on after that, but couldn't score.
* Garrett Atkins went 0-4 with a double play and twice (!) left the bases loaded. 9 men left on base. -0.324 Win Probability Added, all by himself. Is there something between booing/yelling and throwing things?
* Julio Lugo only had one at bat, but he still managed a -0.150 WPA by striking out swinging at a ball above his shoulders to end the game with the tying run on second-base.
* Bad defense. Tejada with two errors. Wigginton maybe should have had one, not cleanly gloving an easy grounder at second.
* The Orioles' pitchers walked 7 hitters - including three straight in the 8th inning to force in the winning run - while striking out 0. No words.
Orioles lose 4-3, in almost absurd fashion. They're now 2-15. Sigh.