Spring Training Game 28: Orioles at Yankees
* Brian Roberts singled and walked in three plate appearance from the lead-off spot before being replaced by Robert Andino, who had a 2 RBI single himself. I'm cautiously optimistic about Roberts given that he's played in a few games this Spring without any major issues.
* Nolan Reimold, Miguel Tejada, and Matt Wieters each picked up two hits, with Nolan also adding a stolen base. No need for him to be running if the Achilles is still recovering though - an extra couple steals isn't nearly with the injury risk.
* Overall, the offense pounded out 15 hits, though only two were for extra bases (doubles by Pie and Caleb Joseph).
* Simon showed why he's now so far down on the depth chart, giving up a four-spot in the first inning. He settled down after that with three scoreless, but the damage was done.
* 31 year-old submarining righty reliever Andy Mitchell (?) tried to lock down the 9th inning, but gave up two runs while getting only two outs.
The O's bats got them out of an early 4-0 hole, but they ended up blowing a 6-4 lead in the last frame. The game ended in a 6-6 tie because, hey, why play extras when you're going to see each other 19 times in the regular season anyway? That makes the Orioles record an unusual looking 11-16-1.
Alfredo Simon gets the start against the Yankees, with O's nemesis Andy Pettitte going for New York. Last year, Simon had a decent Spring an won a job in the Orioles rotation... as the #3 starter! Now he's what, 10th on the depth chart maybe? Progress!