Game 72: Orioles 11, Marlins 5
* Adam Jones singled, doubled and homered. His slugging percentage is creeping up toward .450, though his OBP is still sub-.300. He's is hitting .329/.361/.582 in June, which is nice.
* Miguel Tejada went 4-5, including a relatively rare show of power - a three-run bomb. Pushes his average back up above .280 on the season.
* Luke Scott doubled in a couple runs and walked. The free pass came in his first plate appearance, as he took four straight pitches inside. It looked like the Marlins didn't want him to extend his arms. Then he showed why later, driving an outside pitch to deep center-field.
* Craig Tatum singled and doubled twice. I have to say I wasn't a big fan when the team picked him up, but that's changing. His .354 OBP is now the second highest on the team amongst players with at least 30 plate appearances.
* Nick Markakis singled and walked twice. First two-walk game he's had in a while, and it gets him back on pace to finish with over 90 on the season.
* Every Orioles' starter had a hit, and 21 baserunners (17 H, 3 BB, 1 HBP) leading to 11 runs is definitely an offensive explosion for this crew.
* Jason Berken pitched two quality innings, giving up a walk and a single while K'ing 3. Part of his success as a reliever this year has been increased reliance on his slider - which has generated a good number of whiffs - and he kept throwing it to the Marlins' hitters since they didn't show they'd lay off of it.
* David Hernandez pitched a perfect 8th inning, striking out two.
* Jake Fox swung at 13 of the 18 pitches he was thrown, striking out twice. That's exactly why I wasn't that enthusiastic about his acquisition, even though I was for it.
* Kevin Millwood settled in after a rough start, but 5 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 3 K isn't going to result in wins that often on this team. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, I guess.
The Orioles actually got the offense going, and avoided the sweep with an 11-5 win. That finally gets them to the 20 win mark (versus 52 losses). Not a bad game to get back into the game wrap action with. This winning stuff is kind of fun.
Haven't covered a game in a while, but I've been busy working on a few things. I don't think I missed all that much though; Orioles still can't score and the pitching is mediocre at best, right?