Spring Training Game 2: Orioles at Rays
After a 12-2 victory for the O's to open up their Spring Training schedule in their new Sarasota home, the team goes over to the Rays park for game two.
* Felix Pie led off the game with a home run against Big Nyquil (Jeff Niemann), and then later tripled. Not reacting to this game, but Pie should get a lot of at bats this year, in my opinion.
* Brian Matusz struck out the side in his first innings of work, including getting Carl Crawford and Evan Longoria. Less good was the home run he gave up to Sean Rodriguez in his second inning - which he only got one out in (another K) before being removed. Rodriguez also went yard yesterday, by the way. He might not have a place on their team, but that's a nice problem to have.
* Koji had a quick scoreless inning. As did Jason Berken and Wilfrido Perez.
* Justin Turner - looking to get a utility spot on the team - hit a game-tying home run in the top of the ninth inning.
* Mark Hendrickson gave up a couple runs on three hits in a walk in one inning pitched.
* Kam The Almighty was not quite so... mighty, giving up a run, a hit, and a walk.
* Pedro Florimon and Rhyne Hughes both went 0-2 with a pair of K's.
The Rays pulled out a 6-5 win in the bottom of the ninth. The O's fall to 1-1 in Spring Training, which means they're guaranteed to finish the regular season at .500.