Game 44: Orioles 6, Nationals 7
* Ty Wigginton drove in four, with a two-run single and a two-run homer.
* Nick Markakis and Miguel Tejada also each picked up a couple hits.
* Adam Jones hit his second two-run homer in as many days, but this one was of the inside-the-park variety. Jones hit a deep flyball to center that Nationals' outfielder Nyjer Morgan tried to catch with a leap at the wall. The ball bounced off his glove, and it looked like Morgan assumed it had gone over the fence since it bounced behind him and he reacted by slamming his glove and walking away. The left-fielder backed it up, but Jones slid in safely on one of the crazier plays I've seen in a while.
* Bergesen got a lot of groundballs and only walked one, but he only K'ed one which made it more likely that the Nat's would pick up a few hits; 5 IP, 1 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR.
* With runners on the corners and two outs in the top of the 6th inning (with the O's up 6-3), Dave Trembley let Bergesen hit for himself. He grounded out, and was removed after getting no outs in the bottom of the inning and allowing two runs to score on three straight hits. It made no sense to try to get one extra inning out of Bergy (at best - he was already at almost 100 pitches and not exactly cruising), at the expense of the relatively wasted at bat in a higher leverage situation in the 6th. Just dumb managing, and it might have cost the team the game.
* The offense didn't manage to draw a single walk, and grounded into two double plays.
The O's took an early lead, but ended up blowing it in the middle of the game and couldn't come back. They lose 7-6, and fall to 14-30 on the season. The Birds will try to win the series tomorrow behind Kevin Millwood.