Game 48: Orioles 5, A's 7
* Brad Bergesen wasn't completely on his game, giving up a home run and walking three, but he mostly got the job done; 7 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 3 BB, 0 K. The 13 groundouts to 7 flyouts was pretty good too. He came out after putting a couple on in the 8th, and both were allowed to score by the pen.
* Julio Lugo had a three-hit day batting second.
* Adam Jones picked up a couple of hits himself, though he came up twice late in the game with men on base and looked way to anxious at the plate (and couldn't come through).
* Miguel Tejada singled twice and drive in two runs.
* Matt Wieters walked, had two base-knocks, and was hit by a pitch.
* Ty Wigginton worked three free passes, and Atkins drew two - including one to drive in a run with the bases loaded.
* Corey Patterson had a rough day against the left-handed Oakland pitchers, striking out 4 times.
* Dave Trembley brought Berken in to replace Bergesen with two on and two out. Jason retired a batter, and then Dave took him out to have Hendrickson face a lefty (who he got out). Then he gave up three straight singles - two of the infield variety - to right-handed batters (though one was pinch-hitting for the lefty Cust). Cla Meredtih came in with the lead down from 5-2 to 5-4, and allowed a bases loaded double to put the team behind 7-5. Text-book case of over-managing by Trembley, who should have just let Berken pitch the whole inning. Can't believe he still has his job.
The 7-5 loss should be put largely on Trembley's shoulders. That's twice in the last week that I think he's made a big mistake that cost the team a win - the last one was in Bergy's start as well, come to think of it. The offense wasn't spectacular, but 16 baserunners is usually pretty good - and when you get your starter into the 8th having given up just 2 runs you should win more often than not. Birds drop the series and fall to 15-33 on the season.