- Alfredo Simon looked pretty good, mixing up his pitches and occasionally getting the Yankees looking. He didn't generate too many whiffs though, and when he missed the strike-zone, it tended to be up. Still, a fine start against the majors' top offense. Final line; 7 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HR.
- Mark Reynolds hit his 31st home run of the season, which puts him just one away from his 2010 total and would also be tied for first in the NL.
- JJ Hardy hit his 26th, tying his career high (from 2007). He just loves those high and inside fastballs (though this one was more middle-in).
- Nick Markakis walked twice and stole a base.
- Other than the two solo homers, the O's didn't really have any offense. No singles, one double, plus three free passes.
A valiant effort, and if you told me the Orioles would go yard twice and Simon would have 6 K's and last through 7 innings I think I might have predicted a Baltimore win. Oh well.
Some Mariano Rivera facts (coming into the game), since I looked them up:
- Has appeared in more games vs. the O's than any other team;
- 3.13 ERA vs. the O's is 5th highest vs. any team
- OPS+ of 121 by the O's is also 5th highest, and that's despite just a .260 BABIP
- 6.7 K/9 versus the O's is his 3rd lowest