It kinda seems like the season just started, but the All-Star break is right around the corner. There will, of course, be people on the team who probably shouldn't be (including due to the every team must have a rep. rule), as well as some players who were snubbed. Here are my picks, using both the first half of 2011 and a little bit of the second half of 2010 (seems a little weird that half the year doesn't seem to matter in picking baseball's "All-Stars"). The starting nine and their back-ups, AL-NL:
C: Alex Avila (Matt Wieters), Brian McCann (Miguel Montero)
1B: Adrian Gonzalez (Miguel Cabrera), Prince Fielder (Joey Votto)
2B: Ben Zobrist (Ian Kinsler), Rickie Weeks (Danny Espinosa)
3B: Alex Rodriguez (Adrian Beltre), Chase Headley (Placido Polanco)
SS: Alexei Ramirez (JJ Hardy), Jose Reyes (Troy Tulowitzki)
LF: Brett Gardner (Jacoby Ellsbury), Matt Holliday (Ryan Braun)
CF: Curtis Granderson (Denard Span), Andrew McCutchen (Shane Victorino)
RF: Jose Bautista (Matt Joyce), Matt Kemp (Justin Upton)
P: Jered Weaver (Felix Hernandez), Roy Halladay (Cole Hamels)
I think the NL actually has the better crew.
The biggest differences between my list and the voting are:
- AL C; Matt Wieters isn't in the top 5 while Russell Martin is in 1st.
- AL 2B; Cano and Pedroia are 1-2. Zobrist is a distant 5th.
- AL SS; Ramirez isn't in the top 5. Jeter is hilariously 1st.
- AL OF; Span isn't in the top 15. Francoeur is in the top 15.
- NL 2B; Espinosa isn't in the top 5.
- NL 3B; Headley isn't in the top 5.
- NL OF; Cutch isn't in the top 15. That's insane.